Friday, December 23, 2005

long, long lost...

being home at christmastime allows for the occasional fluke run-in that i adore...

after a leisurely lunch at the ship with lola yesterday, i decided to walk down 17th to finish up my xmas shopping. mere steps outside the door, i see a familiar face crossing the street towards me. jeff... a guy i had a crush on in seventh grade. a guy i almost failed chemistry with in grade 12. a guy who i hung with at 15 bands for 15 bucks, and innumerable parties at scott's house in high school. a guy i haven't seen since...

12 years on and there he is, crossing 5th street. exactly the same.

though it was only 2:30, he convinced me to turn myself around, return to the pub and have a holiday reunion beer. and we proceeded to have one of the more honest and interesting catch-up conversations i've ever been a party to. my truths paled in comparison to his; namely his relationship of eight years with a 54-year-old man, and his five-year coke problem. don't misunderstand, though. he is very much the same happy-go-lucky jeff i once knew, and i don't doubt for a second that he's quite content in his life of animal-rescue and security system sales. it was one of those rare, candid, unhindered chats where the email-swap at the end was heartfelt and true...

it's good being home.
[no point.]

1 Comments:

Blogger Bradley said...

I so love that I had a sneak (I'll be it a few hours) peak at the story, or rather the story idea at the party...haha. I love and live for moments like those on the street.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home