Thursday, August 31, 2006

sing-sing

[note: this post will pain some people, mostly in the way that i humanize a really fucking big, sexy hunk of metal with moving parts.]

it's been obvious for a long, long time that i've got an undenyably unhealthy attachment to my car. she's a 1993 nissan pathfinder: emerald black, with faux-wood accents on the dash, a grill guard, a sunroof, 4WD, a V6 engine, and a deflector protector (which is way cooler than saying "she wears a bra"). she's my girl... but i like to call her my weapon... :) infact, i have such an affinity for her that my close friends and family frequently refer to her by name... :) i've had her since '99, so there's a solid 7 years of scars inside and out of her tough frame, all of which serve as reminders of times past.

there's the minor dent and scuff on the rear passenger door, from it being kicked in by one of my ex's neighbours (who, apparently, didn't want me parking on that street overnight). there's the broken front headlight (just the small one !) from running into a post, leaving set like an idiot at CL ranch. there's the jagged crack that runs all the way across the windshield from the roadtrip to nelson, coupled with a painfully cold winter... but i think the reason i feel so tied to her is because of the night i did a 360 on the highway coming into calgary from a shoot in drumheller. i spun around once (maybe twice) before she righted herself, pointed in the correct direction. and i guess i feel like somehow i owe her for that...

she lives in my garage in calgary, and friends sometime inquire why i don't drive her out to toronto when i'm here. the truth is that i miss her, but the transit system in the "big smoke" is such that i really don't need a vehicle, and parking is such a drag... but often i think about how nice it will be when i get to see her, and we can go for a little cruise... :)

last night i had a dream that i returned home to calgary to find that my parents had sold her and bought me a brand new jeep YJ. i was absolutely DEVASTATED. in my dream i pleaded to my dad to find the buyer, hoping that we could go to them and try to get my baby back --at whatever cost. but it was a fruitless search. i was gutted... i honestly think this storyline recurred through the night, and when i finally woke in the morning, i had to reassure myself it was all just a dream.

i'm not really sure what my parents did to make me subconsciously imagine they'd do such a horrible horrible thing. but mum [if you still read this ever]: let's pretend that spinning-around-on-deerfoot story never happened, k ?... it wasn't my fault (and hey, now i know, i'm an AWESOME driver !!)...

3 more days till i get to see you, baby sing !!
x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home