Sunday, October 28, 2007

garden state

i remember the first time i watched zach braff's 2004 directorial debut "garden state," i thought it was the most incredibly beautiful movie of my generation. upon a second viewing, however, it occurred to me that the film itself was average; a quasi-believeable yet fairly mundane storyline, punctuated with a series of intensely beautiful moments. i realized today that what i'd initially thought to be the movie's downside is actually it's brilliance: the film is a flawless mirror image of 'real life.'

there have been moments, in my past, where i have taken a mental snapshot of the physical beauty around me. other times, i take a deep breath and note how truly, perfectly and utterly happy i feel in my heart, so that i can recollect it in the impending darker times of melancholy and confusion. when i look in the mirror puffy-eyed and tear-streaked, i am able to smile at my misfortune with the memory of golden sunlight, the laughter of friends, soft lips...

i am living my garden state....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home