Friday, November 03, 2006

the decoy

Firstly, unrelated items:

1. My computer just crashed in a way too scary to talk about. I am actually a little surprised it appears to be working just fine now, mere minutes later. seriously. i have never seen anything like that on a mac...
2. I just found this out: when you open MS word and accidentally pick the “new blank notebook” option, it gives you a sheet of paper like highschool looseleaf. Three-hole punched with blue lines, and extra white space at the top for your composition title (and your name). me likey.


What I was yappin’ about, before I was so rudely interrupted by modern technology, was how I went to Ottawa this spring for an extended-family gathering. I think I wrote a bunch of words to elaborate on it but realistically, all you need to know is the following:
Ottawa, Family. Me.
‘Nuff Said.

So I land at the Ottawa International Airport at about, say, 5pm and was actually a little surprised that it felt like a bus station. Like a bus station in Anywheresville, USA [also comparable to the weird little twin-prop airport that you take a bus to from gate 37A at San Francisco International Airport, if you’ve ever had the good fortune to experience THAT]. Über-modern, sure. But small and oh-so quiet. No matter, really. Just settin’ the scene… Let’s move on.

I’m met by my cousin Jeremy, who lives and works in the nation’s capital, and am whisked away to some Korean food joint in the city where a bunch of his diplomat buddies are celebrating someone-or-other's birthday. We stay for a drink and head back to the airport to retrieve Jer’s girlfirend, who’s flying in from NYC. It’s around this time that the airport games begin…

Because it had been some months since I’d last seen Alisha, when a girl fitting her description (caucasian, brunette, cute) came through the doors, I ask my cuz “is that her ?” Jeremy laughs at my ignorance and bluntly retorts “uhhh, no.” Moments later, an elderly woman [in a FANTASTIC purple tracksuit] walks through the doors. “THEERRE she is…” says Jer, laughing.

After retrieving Alisha, we had one more flight to meet –my cousin Ethan’s. This time, as we waited, the game was in full swing. “THEERRE he is” became more and more amusing with the stranger the stranger that emerged into the main concourse. Everyone was fair game; people of different shapes and sizes, colours, ages and (most interestingly) outfits and haircuts. In retrospect, we must have been SO bored for this little episode to be even vaguely amusing, but I remember laughing myself to tears…

So, why write about it today ? Well, twice in the past week i've been waiting for people, and twice found myself smirking as my playful mind took over. Once was waiting for a friend of mine to descend the escalator at the Calgary Airport, and once was waiting for another friend to turn up at a local greasy spoon. Both times, after only about 5 minutes of time-wasting, I found myself thinking “THEEEERE he is.” And I’ll leave to your imagination how dirty/greasy/cheaply-suited/poorly-hairstyled/gold-chain wearing the decoys were…

No point.
Clearly.
:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home