Monday, November 13, 2006

the walk invisible

[this post is so far past due, i'll probably get charged for it...]


in january 2001, i found myself daily wandering the streets of sydney, and i can't describe the immense boredom that went along with it. don't get me wrong, the nights were fun --i was stayng with my bestie, em, and her sister & we'd make dinner or have drinks, or i'd kick it in newtown with the doctor or tobe (RIP, bud...miss u). weekends were spent in love on the beach in avalon. but the days ? well, they kinda sucked...

in the first week i'd exhausted my memory lane. i'd found my way to my old job through the back alleys and shortcuts. i'd taken oxford street by storm. i'd sat in a park on glebe point road and reminisced about sharing a pizza, hopes, and dreams. i'd sought and found the relocated post-olympic homeless characters i'd adored the first time around... and damn, did i need a hobby !!

so i started walking, listening to my discman & hitting parts of the city i'd never bothered to hit. the financial district & upper george street to the rocks and circular quay. and what i found was that in my street attire, i could pass unnoticed by thousands of upscale business-folk with nary a sideways glance... and i LOVED it.

one afternoon i walked through the QVB at lunchhour. i'm sure i was surrounded by a dull hum of chattering suits, the click-clack of high heels and the varied ringtones of a few hundred mobiles. i took no notice. my bubble was filled with the tunes that suited my mood; from frantic double kicks to mellow picked acoustic. in a room full of people, i had never felt as alone. i would go without speaking for so long that by the time i opened my mouth, words felt foreign.

there have been days, in the several years since, where the last thing i want to do is be noticed. these introspective days are often spent wandering back streets & alleyways, parks & malls --anywhere i've never been. and i walk and listen and feel and think and laugh and sob and remember... and by feeling removed from the world, somehow i feel closer to myself...

the walk invisible.

the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home